How to meet single people in Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities, Minnesota? This is often the question I get asked... We all know it is difficult to meet people or at least people we are interested in dating. Many people meet their significant other while in High School or College, get married, move to the suburbs, have children, and if you're lucky, not get divorced in less than 5 years. (Sadly, over half of all marriages end in divorce nowadays.) If you made it through those years without getting married or if you are one of the over 50% of marriages that end in divorce, you may find yourself trying to meet and date someone in the Twin Cities metro.
Hopefully if you are reading this, you have already signed up to at least become a member of our network which would allow you to be matched with one of our clients, should we have someone that is a good fit for you. Aside from the obvious, (Ah-Hem) hire Cupid's Cronies to do the dirty work of finding your match, below are some of your options for meeting people:
1) Bar scene - This can be very difficult. The Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro has a reputation for being very clicke and it is often difficult for outsiders to break into these groups of friends. Also, it can be very difficult to initiate conversation in an environment like this. My advice... Just say Hi, be polite, introduce yourself, don't by any means make an agenda (to get her/his number, etc.). Your only "goal" should be to meet a new friend. Unless you get a strong signal that she/he would like more contact later.
2) Online - We all have heard the horror stories of online dating and how everyone can be someone different online. However, I know a lot of people who have put in the time and effort and have met someone this way. Definitely a good way to get a lot of dates if that's what you are looking for.
3) Networking events - Meetup.com is one of my favorite websites. This is a great place to meet new people and get out and do things you enjoy. There are a ton of networking events for singles in Minneapolis on this website. Also, there are several other networking events all over the Twin Cities. Just keep your ears and calendars open for them.
4) Gym and Fitness centers - While I have met a lot of people here and I know a lot of other singles have received dates this way, it is perceived stereotypical and definitely is not for everyone. Often the women are in the classes or on the treadmills, ellipticals, etc. so this may require the man to venture away from the weights to approach a woman. Just make sure she's not wearing a ring :)
5) Randomly walking up to people and talking to them - Probably one of the most awkward scenarios, but my advice would be similar to the bar scene... Have no agenda and just make your "goal" to be to meet a new friend. You can practice this method by just chit chatting with the Coffee Bistro or the random person in the elevator. People like friendly individuals and the practice will make you more confident when meeting potential dates.
6) Introduction by a friend/family member - While their intentions are good, they are not professionals and sometimes have delusional ideas of what YOU are looking for and pair you with someone they are attracted to. Many people have met this way, but it is like everything else - hit or miss.
There are plenty of options out there on how to meet someone. It really depends on how aggressive you want to be and by how much work you put into it. One thing is for certain, the Minneapolis Dating scene has plenty of singles out there, you just need to decide what is the best method for you.